Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Saving Money: Eyeglasses

About 3 years ago I bought some expensive bendy-frame glasses. I think I paid about $250 dollars, though it could have been more. They were expensive, I know that.

And the thing is, they weren't worth it: you can't actually bend them that much without the whole frame getting out of whack, there's screws that are perpetually loose, and the paint wore off the frame quicker than it should have.

They put such a dent in our budget that I haven't bought new glasses till now. Last week I ordered new glasses, and I paid a fraction of what I paid last time.

Awhile ago my sister told me that she and her husband buy their glasses at 39dollarglasses.com. I checked it out, ran some numbers, and liked what I saw.

$39 per pair of glasses + $5 shipping= $44
If I were to buy a new pair of glasses every year for 3 years:  $44 x 3=  $132
$250 - $132 = $118 in savings, and I have 3 pairs of glasses to show for it instead of one worn out, wobbly pair with the paint worn off.

Having extra glasses sitting around is always a good thing. If they're in good condition, I can alternate which I wear, depending on my mood, or put a pair in the car or the 72 hour kit. We've done this in the past with old glasses, and it turned out to be a huge blessing- Mr. S lost his glasses at the beach when a wave got him- ripped them right off his face! Luckily we had a spare pair in the car and he was able to help with the drive home (a 20 hour drive that I would not have liked to do by myself).

39dollarglasses is an online retailer, so you can't try them on, but trying glasses on never worked out real well anyway, since I can't see well enough to see what they actually look like on my face. They give you all the measurements of the frame, and you can even print out an image of the actual size and shape of the glasses to compare them with your current pair. They have a variety of frames for men, women, and children- metal and plastic. You can pay a bit more for different options, including tinted lenses.

I figure if I really hate them, I can buy another pair after a couple months, and still spend way less than I did on the expensive ones. With expensive glasses, it doesn't matter if I hate them- I'm stuck with them.

I picked out a pair and ordered them Friday afternoon, and they arrived in the mail on Wednesday afternoon. Not only are they inexpensive, but they're quick, too!

I picked some black plastic frames to try. I haven't had plastic frames since elementary school, and let's just say that the 80's were not a good time for kids to be wearing glasses. All my frames, metal and plastic, were huge and ugly. They have quite cute frames now, why couldn't they then?

These frames are quite a bit more dramatic than any I've ever had, but I like the change.

LMS took this photo of me- pretty good for a 3 year old!

A note about contacts: I don't wear contacts anymore. I used to, but the cleaning solutions have too many chemicals and they irritate my eyes so I had to stop wearing them. Stupid chemical sensitivities.

1 comment:

  1. I like them. You look super cute.
    Jared has terrible vision so he always has to have special lenses so his glasses don't look super chunky. This always ups the cost quite a bit. I'll have to check this site out and see if they can do a better job.

    ReplyDelete