Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Repurposing: Giving Pants a Second Life

I've been seeing more and more peple talking about repurposing clothing. When I first saw it, I thought, 'eh, I'll never do that- I don't have any extra clothes sitting around to cut up, and we're not close to any thrift stores, so I wouldn't be saving any money by buying thrift store clothes and cutting them up'.

Then I decided it was time to retire the stretched-out, shapeless yoga pants I've had for about 9 years. I realized I could make a pair of play pants for LMS out of my pants. They're not pants to wear out and about, but they're great for playing outside in the dirt.

I used this tutorial to get started.

I used a pair of pink stretchy pants to make a pattern and cut out the pieces for a pair of black pants for LMS. I used the original hem for the hem of the new pants, meaning I only needed to put a waistband in after sewing the legs.

I wasn't too worried about how they turned out: the original pants are well past their expiration date in their current form, so being able to use them for something else is just a bonus.

Overall, I think they turned out well, and I feel confident in trying more projects as the materials present themselves. (this is one of the projects I posted on my other blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment