Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Frugal Shopping: President's Day Sale Finds

Awhile ago I mentioned my intention to hit the President's Day sales at Harbor Freight and JoAnn Fabric. I'm pleased to be able to say that I didn't wuss out (shopping really saps my energy, so I can easily talk myself out of going), and I got some great deals!

The first stop was Harbor Freight, where I got the multifunction tool I mentioned. It came with 4 attachments, and I bought a 5th one for detail work when I refinish furniture. I also got extra sanding pads for the multitool, and a couple moving blankets. I have several moving blankets already, as well as various quilts, but I figure better too many than too few.
The multifunction tool was on sale for $39.99, plus additional $5 off coupon, for a final price of $34.99 (listed regular price: $59.99, but I don't know how often it actually sells at that price- I think $39.99-$49.99 is it's usual selling price)
closeup of the attachments included
The additional finger sanding pad was $7.99
Each of these replacement sanding paper attachments were $3.99

I'm ready to start refinishing furniture!

The next stop was JoAnn, where I got a cutting mat, clear cutting guide, rotary cutter, and half a yard of microsuede fabric. I got all four items for less than the cutting mat's original price!
The lighting isn't great in this photo because I had to hurry and take a pic so I could get the mat outside into storage. It was giving off some nasty chemical fumes the whole way home and I couldn't leave it in the house- that would be a massive headache waiting to happen. Hopefully the fumes will dissipate during the next month so they won't bother me when I get my craft area set up in our new house.

I misplaced the receipt, but the original price of the mat was around $44. The mat, cutting guide and cutter were on sale for 50% off, and the fabric was on sale for 70% off I think. Add a 10% off total purchase coupon, and I got the cutting supplies for 60% off, and paid less than $44 for the four items.

I'll use the fabric for an envelope wallet, for carrying cash instead of credit cards. I'll post pics of that when I get it finished.

Our next stop was at Target, where I hit the after Valentine's Day sales. I bought some silicone heart ice cube trays and a silicone heart cake pan from the dollar section- 30% off.
I also bought some silicone heart baking cups, a silicone petite heart pan, and a brownie pop pan, all for 50% off. The brownie pop pan isn't even really a valentine's item, it just happens to be red.
If I had a car, I would have waited another day or two to hit the after Valentines day sales, and I could probably have gotten an even better deal. Since I'm dependent on others' kindness regarding transportation, I can't be too picky.

I didn't do much (ok, anything) for Valentines this year, but buying after the holiday means I now have some things I can use next year, and I didn't pay full price for them. Bonus for me! I'm also excited to try the brownie pops. Bakerella is always doing fun things with them, and the pan I bought will make it quick and easy to make them.

1 comment:

  1. I shopped the post valentines sales and got my valentine cards for next year as well as candy for Hiram's birthday pinata. 50% off is good for the budget. I also bought the party favors (Star Wars Pilot figures) for super cheap in after-Christmas clearance.

    ReplyDelete