Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Making money when filling prescriptions

I had to fill a few prescriptions last week (allergy meds- I finally went to the dr!), but before I did, I checked around to see where I could get the best deal.

In the past, I've found coupons for Target in my in-laws' Sunday paper. You present the coupon when you fill or transfer a prescription, and you get a $10 Target gift card. I really like this deal, but we don't get the Sunday paper, so I never see this coupon anymore.

This time, I went to Harris Teeter, a local grocery store. They're running a promotion right now where they give you a $20 store credit for each new or transferred prescription. You do have to have an e-vic card (their rewards card) because the credit is put on your card like a coupon, you have to spend at least $20 for the credit to be applied to your purchase, and you can only use one credit per transaction. This is good for up to 5 prescriptions, so you could receive up to $100 in free groceries.

You do need to factor in the cost of your prescription, but you should be able to make money off this kind of deal. The prescriptions I filled were generics that I paid $3 each for, so I made $17 off each prescription I filled!

Do other grocery stores or drug stores run similar promotions?

don't forget to stop by my other blog to enter my giveaways!

3 comments:

  1. Rite Aid has a new rewards program, but I hardly ever get anything but Rx there. But with all of the diabetes supplies that we get for both T and OP, I decided to sign up anyway, because, hey free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this work for a prescription for a one-time antibiotic? We don't have any prescriptions that we renew over and over so I always thought these wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had problems at Target or Harris Teeter- I don't know about other stores though. I wouldn't think it would be an issue to fill a one-time prescription.

    I've even been known to transfer prescriptions just to take advantage of a deal. Safeway had a deal going, so I filled the original prescription there. By the time I needed a refill, I'd discovered the Target gift card coupon, so I transferred the prescription to Target. I did this with several prescriptions over a period of time, and never had problems with any of them.

    ReplyDelete