Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gluten Free Granola

I can't eat most store-bought granola, as oats are frequently contaminated with gluten. I've tried several varieties of gluten free granola, but I haven't loved any of them, and they are expensive.

I found a recipe in Baking with Agave Nectar by Ania Catalano for granola and decided to try it since I only needed to make slight adaptations. There are no wheat ingredients, and while it does call for oats and oat bran, you can find gluten free versions of both.

I bought gluten free oats and oat bran, which aren't cheap but do last awhile. Since it's the first time I used this recipe and I wasn't sure of the results I halved the recipe. I wanted to put it on top of yogurt with some fresh berries, so I didn't go the orange flavoring route, though now that I think of it that might taste really good. I also left out the dried currants.

There's not a lot of oil, and the applesauce makes it a lot moister than my pre-gluten free granola recipe. I like crunchy granola, so I left it in the oven an extra half hour. It got more crunchy as it cooled though, so I may not have needed to do that.
Taste verdict:
I liked it. The pecans are nice touch, but I really like pecans. I think it would make a good granola bar because of the moisture content. I need to do some experimentation and try different flavor combinations. Hmmm.... orange pecan cranberry, lemon blueberry, dark chocolate cherry, apple cinnamon.... yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Gluten-free granola? Little did I know when I came here to tell you that you WON on my site that I would leave with vital information :)

    Great blog!

    Oh, and come claim your prize :)

    ReplyDelete