Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles

Go here to read about our train trip. We had a great time and I think it would be fun to do again.

The trip took two days, which is the same it would have taken if we had driven. The big bonus here was that I didn't have to drive. I don't mind driving long distances, but mile after mile of empty cornfields is just way too monotonous for me, and LMS doesn't really appreciate being strapped in a car seat for 13+ hours a day. Taking the train meant LMS and I could get up, walk around, go to the bathroom, sleep, eat, etc, all while still traveling. Doing those things while driving would have added a lot of time to the over-all trip length.

I don't know about the exact price comparisons, but if we had driven (assuming we had a vehicle to drive, which we didn't in this instance) we would have had gas, food, and lodging to pay for. Our train fare took care of all that. However, we were limited in what we could take with us. Two of the three trains we were on had checked baggage (two per person, no charge), but the third one didn't, so we had to pack accordingly. Driving our own vehicle would have allowed us to take a little bit more with us, though I don't know that that's really a good thing, since I tend to over-pack.

Since we didn't have a vehicle to drive, our only other option besides the train was flying. It would have been a lot quicker to fly, but it would have been a long day of flying. I don't know how LMS would have done with that. We could have checked two bags each, but most airlines charge for each bag now, and that adds up quickly. And I'm getting real tired of all the hoops they make you jump through these days. It's not so bad if you're by yourself, but once you add a baby or toddler into the mix, it really becomes an issue. We could have flown Southwest, which doesn't charge for checked baggage, but the closest airport we could have flown into is 2 1/2 hours away, which means Mr S would have had to take off work to pick us up. Less time worked equals less money earned.

Again, I don't remember the exact prices, but once you add on 3 checked suitcases (which is what we took on the train), I think the plane tickets would have come close to the cost of the train tickets. Not having to hassle with all the crap at the airport and on the plane (food would have been a big issue for me since I can't eat at most fast food places that I would find in a terminal) and having a fun, new adventure was totally worth whatever extra we spent. Sometimes you just gotta balance it all out- cheapest isn't always best.

No comments:

Post a Comment