Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Applying "Simplicity Parenting" to Our Lives

I've got most of the boxes unpacked now, just a few non-book-filled boxes left, so now it's on to all the bins.  I've moved boxes, bins, and furniture back and forth across the screened-in porch, trying to sort and organize everything. Slowly making progress.

I've unpacked most of the pieces-parts (hardware, random pieces that got separated and packed in a different box, etc), so I've started listing a bunch of stuff on craigslist. I really hope it all sells quickly- I want an uncluttered space, and the money that will come in as a result (hello new camera for me!).

I've been reading Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne, and it is quite interesting. I haven't had a chance to finish it yet, I've been too busy with the unpacking and organizing to do much reading lately. The author has worked with families and children for many years and makes a strong argument for "Less is More".

I've been wanting to de-clutter and simplify for quite awhile now. Two and a half years of not being able to find anything because it's buried in the pile of boxes out in storage or it's in a basket somewhere in our room but everything's so closely packed that I can't remember where I put it took a toll on me. Before we moved everything into storage I always tried to keep everything put away and clutter free. Now, I'm very committed to finding a place for everything and making sure we don't have more "stuff" than we need. No more hanging onto things because we "might use it someday". Mr. S and I both inherited that gene from our parents, and while it can be useful, it can also lead to a lot of clutter.

Once I finish unpacking and sorting all our stuff, my next move will be to divide LMS's toys. Right now, they're all unpacked and stacked on her side of the room that will be her toy room and my work room (sewing, crafting, etc). There's too many toys to have out all at once- she only ever plays with a fraction of them at one time anyway, so we'll be doing what so many others do: rotating toys.

I'll also be making time to finish Simplicity Parenting. I'd like to find out what else the author has to say simplifying our lives.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought that when we had more money, we could then afford to have less stuff. I know that sounds backward but I have been clinging to a bunch of old clothes, etc. just because we didn't always have money to replace. And if I was ever desperate, something to wear that wasn't ripped or worn would be good - even if it wasn't stylish. This is most obvious when I look at the almost 10 boxes of clothing I've saved of my kids clothes. Sure they add to our 'clutter', but right now I'd still rather have the clutter than spend hundreds of dollars giving each child a new wardrobe. The same thing goes for crafting - simply saving all your odds and ends can save you lots of money but not space. So really I think the ability to de-clutter is enhanced by having more money. Ultimately de-cluttering is a great goal, but for now I'm going to save some money instead.

    ReplyDelete