Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Frugal Crafting: Mesh Veggie Bags

I saw some mesh veggie bags here, and wondered why I hadn't thought of that. I'm very good about taking my cloth grocery bags to the store (except when I was collecting bags for my fused plastic project), but I hadn't thought about taking reusable bags for my produce.

I filed the idea away, under my 'to do after we move and get settled' list, and didn't think about it again till I found some mesh laundry bags in the dollar section at Target. They're big- about 3 feet by 2 feet- and I realized I could easily make some mesh produce bags out of them.

I cut each bag into 4 rectangles. Since there was already seams in 3 sides, I only had to sew one side and the top or bottom of each smaller bag. I used the original drawstrings in the two bags that included it, and made my own drawstrings and drawstring channel for the other two.
You can see which drawstrings were recycled and which I made.

They were quick, easy, and cheap, and now I can do even more to reduce the amount of plastic we use. Cool!
Total cost:
2 laundry bags from Target: $1 each, $2 total
8 mesh produce bags: $.25 each, since I already had the thread and crochet thread (that I used for the drawstrings)

Have you tried using mesh bags for produce? How'd it work out?

No comments:

Post a Comment