Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Frugal Eating: Noodles & Company

Noodles & Company
I used to love their mac & cheese, which is definitely not mac & cheese from a box- it's sooo much better. However, since going gluten free, I haven't eaten there since I didn't think they had any options for me.

I recently found out that they do have a couple gluten free options! Their Pad thai, Sauteed beef, Braised beef, Sauteed shrimp, Cucumber tomato salad and Tossed green salad are all ok for me to eat.

They don't have any Noodles & Co restaurants near where we moved, so I decided to try out the pad thai before we moved. While we were out running errands, LMS and I stopped in for lunch. I checked with the guy at the counter before ordering and he confirmed that the rice noodles are cooked separately from the other noodles, so I ordered the pad thai with sauteed beef, and it was sooo yummy! I always ask for an extra plate and split the order with LMS (two for one!). I've done this with their smaller size and their regular size and it works well both ways. It had been so long since we were last there that I forgot about the portion sizes. I ordered the regular size and had a hard time finishing, even after giving LMS a decent amount.

A regular portion with protein is about $7 or so, about the same as a hamburger meal at a fast food place. Personally, I think a dish of noodles with sprouts is healthier than a hamburger and fries. The service is quick, too. Splitting a meal with LMS saves the money I could have spent buying a separate meal for her, that she would only eat a little of. She is just not a fan of fast food, other than french fries, but she does enjoy Noodles & Co. The pad thai is a little spicy, but LMS didn't complain (she's quick to say when she thinks something's too spicy), and she ate all her noodles.

If you go to their website, you can sign up to get coupons emailed to you periodically. Sometimes the coupons are for specific items, so they're not always useful for me, but you never know when you'll get a good one.

I took a picture of our lunch with my cell phone, but I guess if the lighting is too bad it causes problems when sending the picture to my email. I've tried multiple times to send it to my email, but none of them were successful. Sorry!

I've also been inspired to learn how to make pad thai at home, and hope to do so in the next week or so, once I've excavated my pots and pans from the piles of boxes that will soon be everywhere. Anyone have a good pad thai recipe they'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment