Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Packing peanut fun

A few months ago I was at Hobby Lobby and saw a package of pastel colored biodegradable packing peanuts. The packaging touted them as fun for crafts and such. I think they were charging $7 or $8. I remember thinking what a racket it was.

Yesterday a box full of 20 embroidery hoops for a project for LMS's room arrived. After unpacking the hoops, I was about to throw the packing peanuts away when I realized they were the biodegradable kind, and I remembered the packing peanuts I'd seen in the store.

I also remembered (from my UPS driver days I think?) that they're biodegradable because they're made of cornstarch. So if you get them a little wet, they'll stick together, and if they get too wet, they'll dissolve completely.

I put some water in a bowl and stuck the peanuts and the bowl in front of LMS and turned her loose.

It took her a couple tries to figure out how much water not to use- you only need a tiny bit- but then she had fun.

We spelled our names.
It was lunch time after that, so we didn't do anymore, but we'll definitely play with these again.

The best part? They were free- I didn't pay $7 or $8 for them in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment