Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thrifting


Growing up, we did most of our clothing shopping at thrift stores (with 9 kids in the family, it was the only way to not go bankrupt). As an adult, I've gone to thrift stores, but not on a regular basis.

Over the last year or so, I've developed a desire to spend more time thrifting, so naturally there are no thrift stores in the area. The closest is about half an hour to forty five minutes away. That's too far for me to drive on a weekly basis to maybe find some good deals.

I've been doing a lot of blog hopping over the last couple months, and it has really opened my eyes as to the potential of things that I would have classified as ugly junk previously. Old, out-dated dressers can be re-finished to look quite nice. Good thing, since we need to find at least one or two dressers when we move. We sold one of ours shortly after moving here because it was MDF and we've never been real happy with it. Now we have to replace it. Oh darn. And we need other pieces of furniture as well...

Anyway, I've been getting lots of ideas and learning to look past surface ugliness. Once we move, I'll be searching for and refinishing some pieces of furniture, and I'll share the process here.

No comments:

Post a Comment