Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Random thought

Here's something I've been thinking about for awhile:

What do people with food allergies/sensitivities do if they depend on food pantries and/or soup kitchens for their food?

Do they just not eat much, eat it anyway and deal with the consequences (if it's an allergy that doesn't result in anaphylactic shock), or what?

Are they undiagnosed, so they just feel like crap and don't know why? I can see this being the case, since even if you can afford to go to the doctor it doesn't guarantee they'll figure out what's wrong with you.

I suppose if it was just one type of food they couldn't eat it wouldn't be too bad, but if they had multiple food allergies/sensitivities it would be pretty complicated to eat. And I wouldn't think that a food pantry or soup kitchen would be able to accomodate their needs. Let's face it, most grocery stores can't, which is why so much of our shopping has to be done at Whole Foods, which is not the cheapest place to buy food.

Our food budget is higher than I'd like, but I really don't see any alternatives. The gluten free soy sauce I used to buy is no longer an option because of the soy, so my only alternative is coconut aminos, which run $6 a bottle, and it's not a very big bottle. I could just not buy it, but than our diet would be even more limited in flavor and meal options. Luckily, while I may wish we could spend less, at least we have the ability to spend the amount we do. I'm kind of glad I didn't get this all figured out any sooner, when our budget was super tight- then we really would have had to make some tough decisions about what we would be eating.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment