Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Quick and Easy Kid's Bathrobe


LMS has two hooded towels for bathtime: a purple one I made her and a cow one that my mom made her. However, she's realized that mommy has a bathrobe, and awhile ago she decided she needed one too. Being the cheap frugal person that I am, I wasn't going to buy one for her, especially once I realized I could easily make one myself.

On our next infrequent visit to wallyworld we picked out an inexpensive bath towel ($5 or 6, I think) and some coordinating ribbon and bias tape (a dollar or two each).

Then the stuff sat in my craft cabinet for several months.

This week I finally had the time and inclination to make LMS her long-awaited bathrobe.

It was a pretty quick and easy process, but I didn't take pictures, unfortunately. Luckily it's pretty easy to follow the process.

First I folded the towel in half, laid it on the floor, and had LMS lay on top of the towel with her arms outstretched. The fold was at her shoulders.

I decided how wide I wanted the sleeves and body of the bathrobe and carefully cut out the piece below the sleeve on one side. I then had her stand up and I folded the towel in the other direction so I could make sure the cuts were the same on both sides.

I then cut down the middle of the front and cut a small circle on the fold for the neck hole. Next I sewed double bias tape to the cut edges so they'd be nice and neat.

Then I sewed the side seams- first a straight stitch, then a zigzag on the edges. Then I sewed the seam flat so it wouldn't stick up.

I sewed a loop on the back of the neck for easy hanging, then I sewed a ribbon to the bathrobe at the side seams.

LMS loves her new bathrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment