Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cabinet Rehab

I found this massive cabinet (it's 6' long) on craigslist, but the stodgy coloring wasn't doing it for me. Also, the backing had been torn out in the back (you can see it through the glass in the lower left hand cabinet).

Saturday I took off all the hardware and doors, took the glass out of the doors, and removed the backing. After all that, I did a light sanding using my palm sander. There's a lot of detail work that will need to be done with my multitool,  but I put that off for another day. This is what it looked like Saturday afternoon:
Unfortunately, I've had a chest cold all week, so haven't felt up to doing much of anything. Yesterday while I was coughing a lung up I realized why it all felt so familiar: it feels just like when I breathed in drywall dust.

Yay.

Or not. I wore a white dust mask when I was sanding, but obviously it didn't keep everything out.  Today we stopped by Lowe's and bought a respirator- I'm really hoping it keeps all the irritants out of the air I breathe. I have visions of me getting the black lung or something from all the crap I've breathed in that irritates my lungs.

Cough, cough... I think I'm getting the black lung... (name that movie)

blurry photo courtesy of LMS

Attractive, right?

I'll give my lungs another day to recover, then do more sanding on Saturday. Here's hoping the respirator does its job- I want to get this cabinet finished and all my craft and sewing supplies organized.

2 comments:

  1. It just makes you look hard core!
    PS I love all the crown moldings throughout your rental home. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for step 2! Even though we have an emergency fund, we JUST cut up our credit cards last week. It was way more difficult than I thought it would be. We should have done it a long time ago, but it felt like a safety net that I wasn't willing to let go of. Because we were getting 'cash back' for our purchases, it made me justify totally unnecessary splurges.

    WAY TO GO JEN! Gotta love Dave!

    ReplyDelete