On our next infrequent visit to wallyworld we picked out an inexpensive bath towel ($5 or 6, I think) and some coordinating ribbon and bias tape (a dollar or two each).
Then the stuff sat in my craft cabinet for several months.
This week I finally had the time and inclination to make LMS her long-awaited bathrobe.
It was a pretty quick and easy process, but I didn't take pictures, unfortunately. Luckily it's pretty easy to follow the process.
I decided how wide I wanted the sleeves and body of the bathrobe and carefully cut out the piece below the sleeve on one side. I then had her stand up and I folded the towel in the other direction so I could make sure the cuts were the same on both sides.
I then cut down the middle of the front and cut a small circle on the fold for the neck hole. Next I sewed double bias tape to the cut edges so they'd be nice and neat.
Then I sewed the side seams- first a straight stitch, then a zigzag on the edges. Then I sewed the seam flat so it wouldn't stick up.
I sewed a loop on the back of the neck for easy hanging, then I sewed a ribbon to the bathrobe at the side seams.
LMS loves her new bathrobe!